That's the farthest I've ever run! As soon as I crossed 13.1 miles a huge smile broke out on my face as I have not run this far before. A feeling of major accomplishment and even relief...especially on the heels of an injury fear.
I'll recap the last couple of weeks...I had been having some left knee troubles but the pain would disappear once I stopped running downhill, or if I moved to the middle of the road. Last Monday I ran hill repeats and then on Thursday, went out for a 45 min run and at about 20 minutes, I had to turn around and walk back. I experienced sharp sharp pain in my knee that would not go away unless I walked...and even then I could feel it aching. Thursday night I watched my left quad go through what looked like a seizure as my muscles would not stop twitching. I took a complete rest day on Friday and wrestled with emotions all day.
The thought of having an injury and not being able to run my marathon...I had a wave of relief complete with a wave of despair. Relief because I was starting to doubt myself and of course despair since I've put so much time and effort into my training. Granted, I'm approaching this from a beginner's level so my mileage isn't as high as a more seasoned runner. So last night I rolled out my legs really well (which I had NOT been doing, stretching yes, foam rolling, no) and I iced my left knee. (Woke up with my bedroom smelling like green beans since I used a frozen pack, now thawed. Nummers!) This morning I rolled out my legs again and set out rather warily. I was telling myself that I was going to be fine, the rolling would help, and it was good I rested yesterday. That's what I was telling myself but I'm not exactly sure I was buying it.
Anyway, from the title of my blog, you know that all went well. I had an amazing run with a pace of 12:14 which included all of my walking and my warmup and cooldown. The first 7 miles were sub 11 and the last hovered just under 12 and a little above. It rained off and on which was a nice blessing except for the cattle truck that passed me when I got up on the highway and kicked up an extra cattely smelling mist. blech! Oops but let me backtrack back to my knee again...around mile 2? that's when it usually hits...the knee pain came and I thought, "Here we go. This will decide." A little bit further and the pain went away. That's when the first smile crossed my face and I knew I would make it through the rest of the run. Now to keep pressing forward while keeping a watchful eye on my knee and taking good care of it.
Speaking of taking care...I need to go ice and elevate. I hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend!! Much success to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.