Back in my darkest days, I could binge, and I could binge real good. My drug of choice was an Oreo cookie. I always joked that they were like crack cocaine. I realized that eating a whole section of Oreos at one time wasn’t good, but honestly and truly, it’s like I had no control over myself. I know there are reports out there that sugar is addicting yet in my stubbornness, I think that there must be some sort of willpower out there that is attainable for me to develop that I can have my healthy body and still keep my Oreos. After selling my soul to these brownies THAT INCLUDE OREOS, I realize this isn’t so. There is no way that Oreos can live under the same roof with me without them being annihilated. Oh and when someone tells me that they just don’t have a sweet tooth, why don’t you just pretend the very worst fate for them so I don’t have to type it all out.
This is how it came to be that I needed an Oreo intervention…
Friday night, I made the brownies you see above. I ate one.
Saturday, I think I had three brownies? Yup, three. I had one before my workout because, well sugar…it will give me energy. And then yeah, two more throughout the day. I probably would have had more but I didn’t want to have my kids ask where they all went and be embarrassed. Now I just get to be embarrassed here with my confessions.
Sunday rolls around and my cold symptoms are the most severe they have been all weekend long, I have no energy, we skipped church, and all I could think about was cookies and anything with sugar. Fortunately, we had nothing sweet left in the house as the kiddos polished off the Oreos on Saturday night. (Now don’t lecture me about how I feed my family, or what is allowed in the house. I’m working on that. Obviously.)
Sunday evening, after not moving my butt off the couch through multiple Netflixed episodes of "Touch”, it dawned on me how crappy I felt and I knew instantly it was because of the sugar. It’s been nagging at me a lot lately. I did extremely well on the Advocare cleanse challenge, and then I let sugar back in, thinking, “I gots this!” It’s been downhill since.
Big announcement here….I’m quitting sugar. What that looks like for me at this very moment is no desserts. I’m keeping my 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. I’m focusing on the white stuff at the moment. You have been warned and feel free to steer clear of my while I go through withdrawals. It probably won’t be pretty.
Doesn’t this sound like a fun challenge? Who would like to join me?!?!
i'm glad i am way up here in canada. if it makes you feel any better i ate 5/6 pillsbury cinnamon rolls this weekend which is odd for me and is why i was over myfitnesspal calories for the week. at least you 'made' your brownies.
ReplyDeletei normally can leave sugar. salt is my trigger. a few types of chips: ketchup, old dutch ariba and ranch pringles/plain pringles. if they are in the house they are DONE.
You know what's better than Pringles? Chocolate covered pringles!
Delete