Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The time I went to Dublin, Ireland for St. Patrick’s Day

My life changed a lot in the couple of years after these pictures were taken and for the most part, I tucked them away on their CDs to be ignored.  Sniff sniff.  Then, it turned into one of those projects that I should tackle….one thing after another. So 10 years later, here’s a few snippets of the time I went to Ireland, for the second time.  The first time was the year before, 2002ish?  This trip in 2003 actually had us in Dublin, Ireland, smack dab on St. Patrick’s Day.  Enjoy…this not so great blog post that is written in a hurry, so I can cross this off my to-do list and quit procrastinating. You are welcome for that horrible sentence too!

Blarney Castle

Ireland4

Ireland8

The view of the castle, once you get past my double chin.

Ireland3

Some views from the top. I liked all of the green stuff growing on the broken stuff.

Ireland6

Kissing the Blarney Stone

I wasn’t keen on the idea of getting down on the ground, leaning over backwards and kissing something that had been kissed by a ton of other people.  Once in a lifetime opportunity missed?  Sigh…but I didn’t want everyone to see my hat hair either!  In my defense, no one else in our party kissed the stone either.  Fuddy-duddy!  I would do it in a second now!Ireland13

Ireland11

St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland.

Ireland12

Ireland5

We were visiting in conjunction with some musical events that were happening in “town.”  It meant we got special passes and partook in activities that were not your normal touristy fare.  Early on St Patty’s day, we were at the parade in Dublin.  I took tons of pictures, but they were mostly of marching bands (Work related…and there were a bazillion…I’m sparing you.) So the above two are from the cathedral, and other than that, I don’t remember a thing.  Except it was a very cool experience and music inside a cathedral always sounds amazing due to the acoustics.

Random pictures from around Ireland.  Could be Limerick, Dublin, Cork…who knows?  I have a bunch of pictures of different colored doors, doorknobs…oh and Ethan Hawke (didn’t get a picture of him, but I saw him.  Swear.)

Ireland9

I wish we had places like this in Klamath Falls.  Don’t you?!

Ireland10

Glendalough, the Monastic City in the Wicklow Mountains National Park.

The GatewayEPSN0008

The history here is fascinating.  If I could spend the rest of my day, reading up on this place, I would.  I love old broken stuff…and history, and traveling, and I think it’s pretty cool that I got to visit!  St Kevin, 6th Century Stuff, Vikings, no big deal, right?!

The Round TowerEPSN0002

St Kieran’s Church

EPSN0041

Ireland2

This was our fun driver that I tried to get him to say any word with the “th” sound in it “Two or tree” times a day.  I tink here he was trying to tell me how everything is two or tree tousand years old.  Or someting like tat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.